Wednesday, November 08, 2017

On "Friends"

My son asked me: "How to differentiate between a friend and just an acquaintance?"

My reply was: "Any person who goes out of his way, schedule and routine to do something for you is your friend. If someone is willing to spare time for you - and as time is the most precious commodity of any human's possessions -  a person is actually giving a part of his life for your sake. He is your valuable friend. All others are just in 'working relationship' with you."

Whenever and wherever there is a discussion on friendship, I can't stop myself from thinking of Hazrat Ali's quote. "Bad-naseeb hai woh shaks jise achhe dost na milain - magar us se bhi ziyada bad-naseeb hai woh shaks jo achhe doston ko kho de".

2 comments:

Anony said...

It reminded me your earlier post:

https://zindagi-ki-diary.blogspot.com/2014/06/your-love-language.html

On spending quality time together, I personally have tendency to avoid social contact (Aadam-Bezaar mode!) from time to time :D

mystic-soul said...

that's a one good book!