Monday, May 27, 2019

A different view on Lailtul Qadar

This post is in no way to question anyone's belief. This is just another view on Lailtul Qadar (LQ) from a Sufi perspective. This came up quite a few times in discussion with friends.

Lailtul Qadar is not a given night in the month of Ramadhan. Instead, it is a dynamic moment where and when a single soul unites with the universal soul. Whenever that special spiritual moment occurs to a soul, it becomes Lailtul Qadar.

Surah Qadar neither clarifies what was revealed on LQ nor it mentions the month of Ramadhan. But it does speak of universal soul (Ruh) along with angels (malaik) to arrive with the absolute order (kule amar) of All Mighty. When it happens, time becomes relative, as it says: it is better than 1000 nights.

Such experience of spiritual unity has been described by many mystics from all sorts of religions and beliefs and all across the history of humankind. Restricting it to the revelation of the Quran would be a very narrow explanation, as the Quran was revealed over 23 years.

Someone put another interesting perspective. When God says: What you know about LQ (wa ma adraka ma lailtul qadar), we can put forward all kind of explanations and scratch our head, but will never know the actual meaning of it.



7 comments:

bsc said...

No wonder some sufees leave the cult like Hamza Yusuf You can hear his discussion on lailatul Qadr on U-tube
Sounds like a Non Muslim Sufee saying
It is definitely different
I do not know what is meant by Universal Soul
But I am not a sufee and not because the above but it is just I am not mystically oriented (my apologies to you)

Z-ki-Diary said...

Uncle: Thank you for your comment. Please write a concise version of mainstream's view on Lailtul Qadar for our learning. Please post at your blog or here.

bsc said...

Well I just wrote in my blog about Lailatul-Qadr
Allah SWT sends down Angels and Rooh (probably Gibreel AS) to carry out distribution of Rizq etc (for the year)and more of his commandments
The greatness of this night at least two things are given Ibadat of this night is equal in rewards to ibadat for 83 years ans 4 months and #2 Quran decended from Lauh Mahfuz to the heaven of this world Also the first revelation (Iqra) was on this night There is whole lot of things about the month already like all the scriptures were revealed in this month
That is why we pray all night or most of it on this night Allah's generosity is opened wide for us. It is up to us to grab
But do visit my blog

zindagi ki diary said...

Uncle I read your post:

I don't know anything about this: "Sahabis who had chained themselves in the Masjid until Allah revealed these ayaat of pardoning them."

Please tell us more.

bsc said...

Visit my blog again

mystic-soul said...

Thank you! I read and I learned something new.

bsc said...

I may have sounded like I am against or unconvinced about Sufeeism so I want to clarify that no nothing like that it is just I do not understand but let me give you here most sufee poet's ideas Maulana Jalaluddin Rumi you will hav e to visit my blog for it again