Wednesday, May 22, 2019

Uber Drivers

I always enjoy talking to uber drives as most of them are driving uber as part time to make their ends meet. In the last few years, I met several students, retirees, a refugee from Rwanda genocide, and many many interesting human beings - men and women. I learned immensely from their lives and experiences.

Last week I was out of town and had to rely on uber to avoid parking in the downtown area. This middle-aged man told me his story:

"I was laid off after 30 years working in a telecommunication company as they decided to close landlines. As I drove my car out of the parking lot, I didn't want to go home and tell my wife. I didn't know what else I can do in my life as for 30 years; I did one work set under a given protocol. As I was parked on the side of the road not knowing what to do, someone tapped on my window and asked: "are you, my uber driver?" I said: "No, Sir! I don't drive uber". The gentleman walked away, and I said to myself here you go! Let's drive uber."

Then he added: "Sometimes, people come in our life for a few seconds, but I believe for that given moment they are angels send from heaven."

No comments: