Friday, July 05, 2019

On Karachi's Afro-Pakistanis (Makranis)

If you have ever lived in Karachi - you will smile as soon as you hear the word Makranis. The most beautiful people I ever met.

In my previous life in Pakistan, I passed the public service commission (popularly known as Muqable ka imtihan) and was deputed at Liyari General Hospital. I was given a personal peon. His name was tapu. He was a walking talking encylopedia of makranis' history.

After my previous post, a reader sends me a facebook link, and it brought back a lot of nostalgia of my brief time at Liyari.

"The African slaves were brought in Makran during the rule of Sultanate of Oman after they took over this region in 1784. Coming back to the Makranis, they are reffered into the history as "Siddis" (pronounced as "Sheedis"). They are also known as "Habshis", probably in relation to the Muslim history of "Habsha" now known as Ethopia. .........At the end of 18th century and the beginning of 19th century, Karachi was florishing as a busy Port, creating job opportunities and was gaining reputation as a town free of feudal lords and slavery. This made many Africans from elsewhere in India including makran to escape to the karachi to find their ultimate abode in Liyari. Which was then the first neighbourhood of karachi."

Read and see pictures of their interesting history at this facebook link: https://bit.ly/2Xutywd

https://www.facebook.com/groups/194310214411607/permalink/634388110403813/

2 comments:

bsc said...

I did not know this history of Makranis I thought they were just black people
Interesting

zindagi ki diary said...

Uncle: THat's a very interesting corner/neighborhood in Karachi