Wednesday, March 29, 2017

On "overrated inspiration"

When Saugoree uncle left comment on my post quoting Khushwant Singh (here), I recalled 2 things for which I always remember Khushwant Singh. Although I have read his writings here and there for many years, his one article is always near and dear to me ( How To Live and Die - here). Another thing is his advice to writers that: "You should write everyday as writing everyday will make you a better writer (than others)".

It took me to Argentinian artist Milo Lockett. When I first read his interview, I was little jolted on his initial statement that: "Inspiration is Utopian". But as he further explained: "What you need is to do your work everyday. Some days you will be less passionate. You may make more mistakes, but mistakes will make you a better person. Key is to do your work everyday".

I was lucky to have good teachers and seniors during my training. I was given one advice which worked like a magic for me. I was told to read every day no matter what - Christmas, New year, birthday, sad day, someone's funeral or vacation - READ EVERYDAY - anything related to subject - 5 minutes, 10 minutes or 15 minutes. I have done that for last many many years and I can assure you, it did not only make me a better physician but a better human being.

As they say: Inspiration is 1% and perspiration is 99%.

Last, but not the least. In cricket's history, Pakistan's Wasim Akram was one of the real legendary bowler. I honestly believe, no one ever came close to him in swing, line-n-length, yorker and varieties. Not Imran Khan, Dennis Lillee, any West Indian furious  or even Sir Richard Hadlee. Wasim said a beautiful thing: "In life, luck will just open the door for you but rest of the journey is all your hard work and practice everyday".

No comments: