Thursday, December 04, 2008

On Health, Diseases & being a Doctor

Being a physician, I learned that there are 2 kind of patients. One, who bring disease to themselves by bad habits like tobacco, alcohol, drugs etc. Others are those unfortunates, who develop disease for known (hereditary, gentic, enviromental etc) or completely unknown reasons.

Meri residency ka third year tha....I was on research elective...is liye.....nobody was expecting me in hospital for regular work...... Chicago main sardiaN urooj pe thin. Mujhe shadeed 'upper respiratory tract infection' huwa huwa tha. Aik subah meri aankh khuli to mujhe aehsas huwa ke....I cannot move my muscles at all. I realized that either I have developed acute myopathy, Guillain-Barré syndrome or somekind of acute polyneuropathy (or may be catatonia).....Main ne haath uthane ki koshish ki magar nahi utha paya. Gardan bhi nahi ghuma paya...Main phir so gaya...yunhi pare pare bimari ki halat main 2 din guzar gaye. Kubhi aankh lag jaati, kubhi raat main khirki se december ki chandni takta rehta aur kubhi samjhta aalme-khawab main hun. Do din baad haaton main kuch jaan mehsoos hui to main ne mattress ke paas pare phone pe speed dial ka button push kiya aur dost ko kamzor awaz main suratehaal bayan ki......To make story short, I remained in hopital for a week, responded to Plasmapheresis, got better and went on with my life.

Magar un do dinoN ne mujhe saari zindagi ke liye ye sikha diya ke aik bimar aadmi jo mahinoN bimari ke alam main bister pe para rehta hai, kis azab se guzarta hai. Ye sach hai ke pehle mujhe patients pe gussa aa jata tha. Us din se nahi aata.

It sounds simple, but health is the highest blessing. Health is for sure the biggest wealth. And there is a reason, at the end of the day - I come home with a sense of pride and satisfaction - ke- I made atleast a little difference in someone's life today!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Long time back i read this story that once hazrat Musa asked Allah " had you been created by some one what would you have asked your creator"
Allah replied " health"

Anonymous said...

so true !!

bsc said...

Very interesting.
I just came back today after the party of Ali's recovery. A short speech and dua I was asked at this masjid where we got together.
My main point was that His illness and coming back to health has made all of us aware of the health as granted by Allah which we take it for granted. Everyday when we get up fresh from the bed we should be grateful to Allah. We just passed thanksgiving and my point is we as Muslims do need to thank Allah for all He has given us. Each breath we take needs the word of thanks from each individual Muslim or no. That will be only for one thing we would have thanked him for. Thats why I find that part of aya most amazing whan Allah says
"wa in taúddo ni'matallah-e la tuHsooha (and if you count ni'mats of Allah you will not be able to bring them into your counting.