Tuesday, September 24, 2013

Halala! (Re-marrying in Islam)

(Halala refers to an act - where woman has to sleep/marry with another man if she wants to go back to her ex husband)

For long time I looked for right answer on concept of "halala" in Islam. I read various translations of all related verses in Quran, listened various talks from various levels of scholars. Let me assure you, in Islam, a man and woman can divorce and re-marry (just do new Nikah) without any consequences 3 times. Also a single divorce requires a statue of 3 months!

"Halala" comes in play only, when same couple go through divorce in their lifetime 3 times - which I doubt ever happen. (Best described in Surah 2:228-232). How 'Halala' should be performed is another subject and a glorious way to box-hit TV dramas!

 - It was just a passing note on my understanding and reading of Quran - though for me it was just an academic exercise.


No comments: